Sales Tax Audit Preparation [Handbook]
Why are so few companies prepared for a sales tax exemption certificate audit?
The answer is simple: Most have no idea what their liability would be. Rather than proactively preparing for the possibility of an audit, many organizations wait to spring into action until after the audit notification letter arrives.
If one or more of the following statements apply to your organization, it may be an indication that it’s time to restructure your sales tax exemption certificate management process:
- You have lost track of the precise number of exemption certificates your company has stored.
- You do not know what percentage of exemption certificates are missing information.
- You do not know what percentage of exemption certificates will expire within the next month.
- Your staff spends a lot of time manually emailing, sending letters, faxing or making calls to update expired or invalid exemption certificates.
- Collecting a new certificate or verifying a customer’s exemption status at the point of sale is often a time- consuming process that requires multiple employees.
In this handbook, we will walk you through proven methods you can use to prepare for (and weather) an exemption certificate audit with confidence.